View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 06:31 AM   #11
Luke's Mom
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Maybe some advice from a Yorkie novice...

Hi Hilton,

We are also Yorkie novices and maybe some of my experience might help with your little guy. We live in Nova Scotia so are aware of the cold!
Princess is still young - five months - but is fully trained to go outside only. She is also completely crate trained. This did require a lot of work but we have a wonderful and happy little dog and a clean house.

Make sure the crate is not too large. As humans we want to make sure they have lots of room but they really do not need it - if it is too big they will designate one area of the crate as sleeping quarters and another as bathroom so small is better. It is their natural instinct to not foul their nest so to speak. I have a five-year-old so I am not far removed from getting up with a child in the night but found that I only got up with her the first two nights, comforted her and put her right back in the crate. We also cover her crate with a light blanket...keeps out light and maybe keeps in warmth.

I had never heard of puppy pads so did not use them. I watched for visual cues...Princess starts sniffing the floor and running around really fast when she needs to poop. I would then use the phrase 'poop outside' as I took her out and she very quickly learned that one. Pee'ing was a bit tougher as their little bladders are tiny and the ability to hold it is less. I put paper on the floor near the door she uses and if she pee'ed on the paper she was praised. I would take her out immediately once I took her out of her crate in the morning and usually ten or so minutes after she ate. Pee'ing outside for good came about two weeks after the pooping.

Princess lives in our two storey house but lives in the kitchen. We have baby gates up at the doorways so she can see what is going on but has a lovely bed to curl up in and there is usually someone there to play or talk to her. Her crate is in our family room and after last visit outside at night she gets to go to the family room to romp and play a bit and then goes in the crate. We usually retire around 11 as my husband is just off work at 10:30 or so and I am up around 6 to get my son off to school so she is part of our family routine. Animals love a routine. It is a dogs instinct to 'protect' their space so if they are confined to a room they will be much happier than if they have full roam of the house...it causes stress in a large dog so would be daunting to a small dog.

The work is worth it - our little girl is a wonderful pet and now she is great about going to the door whenever she wants out. Her crate is for overnight sleeping only and her little round bed is in a corner of the kitchen where she can curl up and be cosy during the day.

I was surprized at how much she loves to be outside and how much she loves the snow. We don't keep her out too long as she is still tiny (about four pounds now) and I naturally worry about her getting too cold but then remind myself that she is a dog and should be allowed to enjoy her environment!

Good luck.

Luke's Mom
Luke's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!