Thread: Yorkielover_201
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 08:31 AM   #15
centralnewyorki
YT 1000 Club Member

Animal Smiley 019

I agree with you, kp&nala.

Yorkies are such needy dogs; They need attention and need grooming, and neither can be ignored. I think back to high school and can't imagine having that responsibility considering everything else that goes on- dances, homecomings, practices, parties, sleep overs, dates, work, homework, etc, etc. You may have a certain lifestyle now, but at 12, you're far from what you'll be like as a young adult. I would make sure that your parents are 100% committed to taking care of a dog themselves because the dog may very well become their responsibitily. There are going to be numerous times when you're going to want to hang out with friends in the next couple of years. High school is a lot of fun, and you'll miss so much if you're spending nights at home with a dog. They require constant supervision for quite a while, and can't just be left to sleep or play on their own- God knows what they can get into! Don't get me wrong- I love my yorkie, but I also loved high school and all that went along with it. I didn't spend many afternoons/evenings home during high school because there was always something going on. I would hate for there to be a puppy sitting at home, waiting for you to return. You also need to think about what's going to happen if you go away to college. That's only 6 or so years away- your puppy will still have half of his or her life left at that point (possibly more.) Are your parents willing to take care of the dog once you leave? My sister got a dog right after she graduated from high school, right before she left for college. My mom was distracted by the cute puppy face, and didn't think about the fact that she was going to be the mommy to this puppy. My sister lives in Florida (we're in NY), and I always feel bad for Belle when her mommy leaves.

I know this is something that you want now, but you have to think of what your life is going be like 2, 3, 4,... years down the road. I think I remember you saying that you feel left out by your friends sometimes and want a yorkie for companionship. I would suggest either getting an easier breed or try to make new friends. I know it's easier said than done, but when I found myself drifting away from my group of friends in middle school, I made myself make new friends, and found a great group of girls that were so much fun to be with.

Please just consider all of the factors. If you decide a yorkie is still the dog for you, then great. Just please don't forget that you're getting a living creature that will have needs that will have to come before your needs for quite a while.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!