Thread: Excitement
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #11
ale379
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstYorkie View Post
Alex,

A basic rule of training for you: behavior that is reinforced increases in frequency.

How does this apply to your situation? In 2 ways. One, you need to be careful NOT to reinforce behavior that you don't want. Two, you need to generously reward behavior that you do want.

As for the first - You are inadvertently rewarding Boomer's excited behavior when approaching other people and dogs by coninuing to approach them despite his misbehavior. He acts spastic, you grumble, but you take him to his reward (meeting the other person or dog is highly rewarding for him). When he acts in a way that is unacceptable to you, STOP. If he calms down a smidgeon, slowly carry on. Wild again? Stop. You might even have to turn around and walk the other way until he calms down. When he does, slowly try approaching the object of excitement. He will eventually learn that his poor behavior gets him the opposite of what he wants. Does that make sense?

The same is true when you get home. Don't inadvertently reinforce his excitement by paying attention to him when he acts that way. Spastic dog = invisible dog. The second he calms down - voila! - he is no longer invisible. Great him at that point. As long as he is calm, calmly praise him. Spastic again? Invisible again until he calms down.

To be continued....
Thanks for the advice. I'm doing exactly what you wrote and it's working little by little, it's a work in progress though, but If I continue with this, I know he will be a better dog. I know it's going to take time also, so I'm being very patient with him. Once I get settle in my new house, I will continue with training.

Thanks for the advice.
ale379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!