View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
fourdez
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post
Actually, trust me you don't want a tiny Yorkie. The little guy you were enquiring about should not be sold at this time. The breeder should wait until old enough and big enough to assess his health properly, have her Vet do the neutering, and charge minimal price if anything for him.
The smallest mine have been, and only a handful of them, were 3 1/2 lbs. I hate selling them and don't until they over 6 months of age. I have my Vet do the spay/neutering usually at 7 or 8 monhs. Then think about an appropriate home if I feel it is healthy, no open fontanel or other issues. Some have grown to 4 lbs, a couple have stayed at 3 1/2 lbs.
Otherwise I keep it. I have given one to a friend that has an open fontenal I wouldn't charge any money for her.
She loves this little dog, has the great grandmother who is aobut 8 lbs. BUt she is capable of looking after this little mite which trust me, takes a lot of extra time and work. We went to my Vet together to discuss this little dog so both my friend and I knew what we were getting into. They are rather delicate. She makes sure she eats and actually did make 4 lbs at over a year.
she would never pack her around, it is too hard on them when they are that little. When she wants to go for a little walk, she has a small harness and will take her a little bit.
With her diligence, this little dog has not been sick but my friend is very cautious with her. Vet bills for these little ones can be astronomical.
My friend also has two other dogs. We don'tknow the life span of this little one but it won't be quite so hard to lose her with two others in the home.
It is devastating to lose a puppy at less than 3 or 4 years old when it is the only one you have.
It is hard enough at any age, but real young and one you have had to give so much care to is really rough.
I called the breeder and told her I won't be taking the pup. But it broke my heart... I had been looking for a small one for years. I know they need a lot of attention, but I just love them, and luckily I really have the time. My Sons are 28 and 31 years old and out of the house. I already have 2 little Yorkie girls, Desi who is 2 1/2 years old and 5lbs, and Millie who is 18 months and 4 lbs, and its just my husband and my father in this big house. But, you are right, I would take a chance on a tiny one but not on a unhealthy and tiny one. Its a heartache ready to happen.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!