Thread: obedience
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
SweetCuteness
I <3 Ferdinand
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstYorkie View Post
A shock collar to teach "come"??? Not only would it be cruel, it would be worthless. Here is how I recommend:

RETEACHING COME
First, if you have been using the word "come" without success, then when you reteach the command, it would be a good idea to change the word. Your pup already has a history of ignoring this word. Maybe use "here", "close", "cookies" or whatever you choose.

Then, start retraining with your puppy just a couple of feet from you. Let him see that you have something yummy in your hand. If he isn't coming for treats, you need to up the value of what you use. Maybe a tiny piece of leftover meat or cheese or a cheerio. As he starts toward you to get it, saw your cue word ("close" or whatever). Repeat a bazillion times but only say your cue word as he is coming toward you, not before. When he gets to you, he gets a party - the treat, petting, loving, "you are the best puppy ever! you are soooo good!" in an excited voice. Make it fun.

Only when you feel 100% confident that he will come, can you start saying "(dog's name) close!" before he starts to come. Repeat a bazillion times. Then, you can gradually start doing it where the treat is nearby but not visible. If sucessful, you can gradually start lengthening the distance that he has to come.

The trick when teaching the command is to NOT use it if you don't think he will respond. You don't want him to develop a history -again - of refusing the command.

Something to be careful of with the "come" command is that you aren't using it to end his fun - you know, "come" we have to go inside now, "come" & let me take that forbidden item away from you, "come" so I can put you in your crate. A trainer told me that 75 - 90% of all "comes" need to be met with only good consequences. That means ALOT of "comes" just to get a treat! But, it does work.
We tried this with great success!!! He refused to come for a while, so we changed the word and pretty much did exactly what you advised above. So far it's been about 6 weeks and he comes running to me right away when I call him now.

One thing that I wanted to add - if he didn't come after I called him twice, then he finally came (of course, looking at me like, okay give me my treat now!), I wouldn't give him a treat. I was told giving him one after calling him multiple times would only teach him that when you want him to come, he can come at his leisure.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!