View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c View Post
Ok... so

My wife and I are possibly going to get a yorkie/mix for Briggs shelter in WV. She is 4 yrs old and 15 lbs and very adorable... but that's no the problem... From what i could gather is that her original owners put her in there cuase of a pee problem...

I truthfully think that the orginal owners didnt try everything... or if they did they didnt try the right thing long enough they probably confused her more than anything. But my thoughts are we have 5 people living in the house (all adult family members) someones almost always home. So if we do end up getting her she'll always have someone to let her out to go pee. If not if it conflicts with everyones work schedule i was going to bring her to a kennel for the few hours i wouldnt be home. but we have a yard and stuff but i dont want her to be outside in the cold for now.

I've talked to about 4-6 trainers about this problem and they said that the other family probably didnt try much at all.

i know your have to be consistent i dont think the other owners were consistent with the training.

but overall her temperment seems good. we spent 2 hours visiting with her yesterday and all she did was explore the room and visit with me and my wife. she seems like a real sweety and she didnt bark at all. she seemed to need a little bit of leash training... but we've all ready planned on have obedience classes with her or whatever dog we end up getting anyways...

any input is good and feel free to ask any questions

ty
adam vaughn
first.. WELCOME!! second... if you purchase her the first place i'd stop is a vet.. make sure she isn't peeing frequently because of a unirnary track infection... once you are in the clear... consitency is the word! you might want to try attaching a bell to your door.. every time you go out.. ring the bell.. shortly she will be ringing the bell to tell you she has to go... you might also want to crate her at night especailly.. make sure she has very little room in there.. just enough to lay down and stand up.. the first few night she will cry... when she does the first time.. take her out (dont' make a fuss about her) go outside... use your key word (we say "hurry up") if she does nothing.. back in the crate and let her cry it out... good luck and we want to see pictures!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!