View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy8833 View Post
Did anyones yorki puppy start out as a large puppy (for a yorkie) and slow down or not get any bigger then the standard?

okay heres the deal i REALLY want to breed yorkies i have a female that is about 4-6lbs 5 months old, doesnt appear to be getting much bigger, i like the 5-7lbs range, okay i had a male that was WAY to large and i placed him to a really great home, and got a male puppy. Now this puppy's coat is the best i have ever seen, good bite, perfect marking but at 8 1-2 weeks he is probably around 3lbs..now i know they say to take the wieght and times it by 3 but a lot of people have said that isnt accurate, i will be okay if he is the same size as her ( i know people claim to say that the male has to be the smaller partner but my vets and some other claim as long as they are close in size it is okay, besides i am not in to teacups at all to tiny but super cute) so is it possible he is a really fat puppy? because he is super chunky he eats VERY good. loves cottage cheese. lol he is like 3/4 the height of gidget and not quite half as long. i put a can of regualr size spagettios next to him and he is probably double the can size

any suggestions..i have a long time before either of them can breed but i want to put all my pieces together
It can happen that puppies grow to their full growth by 4 or 5 months and quit. Some have not put on a growth spurt until after they've turned a year.

Genetics/Pedigree has a lot to do with the the size of the litter. This yorkie breed has so many variables, that knowing the lines you are breeding should have a big play on the dogs you breed together.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!