View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
Hilton
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Crate, Bathroom, Potty...(long but help needed!)

Thanks in advance if anyone can help us. My wife and I got "Hilton" on Sunday evening. He's 12 weeks purebread Yorkie and we got him from a very respected breeder here in Iowa.

Here are some facts about our situation that might help...

2 story house, hardwood floors in kitchen, dining room, & 1/2 bath downstairs. Living room is carpeted. We have a carpeted room just off 1/2 bath with french doors (could be formal dining room, we use as a workout room with treadmill, ec).

We sleep upstairs and we have no kids.

The first night we didn't have a crate, etc so we used our 1/2 bath to set up food, water dish, and puppy pad. He did WONDERFUL the first day...went potty on the puppy pad 3-4 times (praised every time) and even #2 on the pad once. He peed on the kitchen rug one time, no big deal.

We got to bed fairly early (~10-10:30pm) because we both get up at 5am.

My wife bought the crate, etc Monday during the day. We've read all the stuff and are committed to keeping him in the crate at night. I keep trying to take him out to our back yard to train him to go outside potty as well but he's yet to go, and its VERY cold in Iowa so he shivers and shivers.

He barked, wimpered, and howled for a while Monday night in the crate but we couldn't hear too much because we're upstairs and we run a humidifier (thank goodness).

We have a small crate we keep in the exercise room (our ideal location for "his room")......as we'd prefer to have the bathroom available for us and guests!

This morning (Tues) I got up at 5 a.m. and he had pooped in his crate. Its my fault...no way I should have left him there for that long...I now know I need to get up every 3 hours or so to let him out...correct???

I cleaned out the crate and tried to take him outside again this morning to no success. We keep him the bathroom during day. I just got home and he went pee on his puppy pad again!

ANY SUGGESTIONS to help with the training, crating, or set up of our situation is GREATLY appreciated. We're both new to the dog world and trying our best to give Hilton a good home. We just don't know much...please help! And remember, we've only had him 36 hours or so...

Adam and Liz
Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!