View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #9
Honeybunn
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiedaze View Post
It isn't uncommon for dogs to have ear infections. You just have to figure out what was the contributing factor.
Inflammation, irritation, pain, and swelling of the ears are common problems for both dogs and cats, often reflecting allergy or skin problems that also manifest in other parts of the body. Such allergies express themselves periodically as a sudden redness or flushing of the skin, perhaps after a meal during specific times of the year, such as pollen season. A dog with ear problems is likely an allergy victim if it also chews it's front feet excessively and scoots it's rear end along the floor or ground.
It's important to understand that the larger issue of allergies usually underlies an ear problem. Otherwise, you might just focus on the ears and ignore the rest of the situation or even make the situation worse if the ear treatment is suppressive.
Keeping the ears clean of discharges and secretions is very helpful in reducing irritation. Choose one of these three alternatives.
HERBAL---Calendula; If the discharge is watery, smelly and thin, flush and massage the ear canal once or twice a day with a solution of 1 cup of pure water (distilled, spring, or filtered),1 teaspoon of a tincture or glycerin extract of marigold flower buds (Calendula officinalis), and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt.
HERBAL--Aloe vera; For ears that are painful, sensitive, and raw looking inside but have little disscharge, treat in the same way as above, but use fresh juice or a liquid gel preparation made from the leaves of the aloe vera plant.
HERBAL-- Sweet almond oil (almond oil); To soften and dissolve dark, waxy, oily ear discharge, flush and massage the ear canal with sweet almond oil (Prunus amydalus), which is also soothing and healing to the skin. If the ear is painful as well, alternate with the aloe treatment on a different day (oil and water don't blend well).
HERBAL---Green tea; For ears that are producing mostly dark, smelly material. First, clean them with the almond oil (above) then use this treatment starting the next day. Put 2 bags (or 2 teaspoons loose tea) in a mug, add boiling water, and steep for 15 minutes. Strain and use warm to flush the ears. You can do this twice a day.

When your fur-baby is over this ear infection, you may want to let a groomer look in the ears to see if there is too much hair and needing to be pulled out. Sometimes when dogs have a lot of ear hair it just traps moisture and they end up with a yeasty ear/s. Pulling of the hair is a little painful, but it's necessary. Wait till your baby is completely over this first.
Hello, I just joined the forums and decided to search for any ear infection threads. Well, it looks like my little yorkie has one of his ears infected. The vet had given me some liquid to clean his ears and an ointment to apply after the cleansing. This was about a month and a half ago. Now yesterday, I noticed he was scratching at his ear alot. I checked his ear and it looked red and a little swollen. Both his ears look dried up but one more than the other. Is this normal for yorkies? Should I use the herbal tea to clean his ears. He's producing some dark wax. It looks like dirt but it's not. Thanks, Johan
Honeybunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!