View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #15
chachi
I Love My Yorkies
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiect View Post
I'm really concerned with what and how many they really need. Sparky has had two bad reactions to shots. He is 14 weeks old. He was given a ParvoK-11 (Progard C PvStrain at about 3 weeks (by the breeder) and two wormings (by the breeder). I acquired him at 6 weeks. At 9 weeks the vet gave him a distemper, adenovirus 2, parainfluenza, parvovirus, and coronavirus shots, and wormed. 7 days later he started throwing up (8 - 10 times in less than an hour). Took him to vet, they said it was stress from sneezing, not shot related.
At 13 weeks he was given the same series, another worming and the very same day within 2 hours throwing up again. They had given him some Benedryl with the injections. Vet was closed so I had to take him to ER vet (BIG money). He was given injections with something to calm his stomachThis could have been prevented had my vet erred on the side of caution and maybe considered the first event could have been shot related.
I don't know whether he should continue the regime of puppy shots, on what timetable (they have him coming back in 4 weeks), and at what expense is this going to really benefit Sparky? I keep him inside all the time, he's only exposed to our coon hound (who has been vaccinated and recieved all her shots). What's scarey is the vet was going to give Sparky a rabies shot also, but said he didn't want to stress him too much! NO DAH! I've read on here where they shouldn't get a rabies shot until 5 or 6 months. Someone out there that's a veteran yorkie owner, please help me decide what I need to do.
Since the reaction is not life threatening I would say get the shots. I have seen several puppies on here die off parvo and have lost a pup to it myself. I know it is hard though My girl always has a reaction to the bordatello
chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!