View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 10:58 PM   #1
YorkieShadow
BANNED!

Default Animal shelter director hopes to prosecute dog owners

Melanie Dodson, director of the Highland County Animal Shelter, was called to a location in the Rocky Fork Lake area to check on the condition of an abandoned dog.

"The landlord of a Rocky Fork Lake area home called me and said he had learned his renters moved out over two weeks ago and left their dog behind.

"When I arrived at the home, t was too late for the little dog. He was already dead. His bony, frail little body was frozen to the ground and the dog house. I couldn't even move him."

Dodson said just two weeks ago in The Highland County Press, she reminded pet owners to pay close attention to their dogs, chained outside in the cold.

"This time of year, with the sub-zero temperatures," she added, "those outside dogs need specific things to help them stay save and warm.

"They need a warm dog house, plenty of food and lots of fresh water. Eating snow or licking ice is not enough to keep an animal from dehydration.

"When I found that beautiful little dog just laying there, and I started taking pictures, I tried to imagine how alone he must have felt, chained to that dog house with no food, no water, no bedding and a big hole in the back of the dog house.

"He probably cried out for days, but no one heard him and no one came, no one cared."

Dodson said she sat down and cried next to the young dog, petting his lifeless body.

"I couldn't even imagine how this animal had suffered," she said.

"I'm not sure if it was my own mind trying to come to terms with this senseless death or what it was, but I suddenly became very angry.

"I got all the information about the owners of the dog and if it takes five years to get them into court, I'll do it.

"Ohio's laws say animal abuse or neglect is a misdemeanor, like jaywalking, and these people won't be severely punished, but rest assured, everyone who reads this paper will know who they are, and what they did.

"Please, if you even suspect an animal is being abused or neglected call me at the shelter. You don't have to prove it, that's my job.

"I don't want to have to go on another call like this one. I don't want to get there too late."

The shelter may be reached by calling 393-2110. Leave a message with a return phone number. You can remain anonymous.

This is so sad and makes me so sick, That poor baby.

http://www.thehighlandsun.com/main.a...ArticleID=2717
YorkieShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!