View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #13
irbrenda
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Hey, 1 question if your dont mind me cutting in, I am getting Valentino Neutered when he is 6 months i believe, but i was wondering, Whats the main reason to have it done? I mean if your fur boy/girl is indoors all the time, meaning not able to do it with other dogs whats the purpose? I would just like to be a little educated on this subject.
Supposedly it reduces the chances of prostate troubles later on in life, i.e. cancer. There are no conclusive studies that prove it reduces the risk of testicular cancer. It helps reduce the risk of benign prostate hypertrophy which is an enlargement of the prostate gland, and reduces marking of territory and aggressiveness, etc.

I would have not done it to my Yorkie if it weren't that he had to have surgery for bladder stones. He never marked territory in the house, was never aggressive, and he was never "sexual" in any way. Neutering has not changed him in any way that I see. I was afraid of weight gain.

The other dogs live with me but are my daughter's and it was her decision to fix them.
irbrenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!