View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
RowdysMom
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

I am the organic flea control lady!!! I'm sure some of you are thinking, "oh no! not that crazy organic flea lady again!!!

Beneficial nematodes are the answer to flea control in your yard. Read more about them here http://www.marchbiological.com/L/ben...nematodes.html They are microscopic organisms that feed on a variety of soil insects and they will keep fleas, etc. out of your yard.

Of course, that does not mean that your baby won't get a flea when they go on a walk or that a flea might crawl over into your yard from the neighbors yard. But that can be controled by bathing your babies in Dawn dishwashing soap or some other non-toxic method.

The nematodes will also keep the fire ants out of your yard and that is a great benefit to those of us who live in the south. I have used the nematodes for 6-7 years and have not had a flea problem in all that time. I have outdoor dogs living on both sides of my yard too. The nematodes work great!

You can usually get them at any organic gardening store. They can also be ordered, but they must be kept cool or they will die, so if you order them, be sure the supplier plans to cool ship them. Also, follow the directions EXACTLY for putting them on the yard. You do have to water your yard in the summer when it is very dry, enough so that the nematodes do not dry up and die - maybe once a week or so, if it is not raining.

Also, I put diatamaceous earth around the perimeter of my yard to keep the fleas from crawling into my yard. It works great, but it must be reapplied after a heavy rain. It is also a non-toxic pest control substance. http://www.hydromall.com/happy_grower16.html I sprinkle it on my roses to control little pesky bugs who want to chew the leaves!!!

I'm an organic gardner all the way - I don't want those nasty chemicals on my babies or on my grandkids!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!