View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
irbrenda
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Does a staph infection look like this?

Hi, YT'ers! Great forum. Hope someone has some answers for me.

A few weeks ago after Ralphie had bladder stone/neutering surgery done, I noticed on the base of his spine a few inches from his tail, a small raised spot and when I went to inspect it, it looked like a raised pimple, something he never had before. I thought they might have given him a needle and it could be the result of the injection site but I watched it. Within a few days, I noticed little lumps, like boils, developing in the same area and they were now crusting over and scaling. I took him to the vet and he said, "Oh, it COULD be dry skin or it COULD be the start of a staph infection." Nice. And so it started to spread and get very nasty looking.

I used medicated shampoo last week and scrubbed all his ugly scales and I think they started bleeding and have now crusted over. He is not itchy at all. If this didn't happen before I changed him to a prescription diet, I'd blame the food but I can't because that's not the case.also notice new little red lumps in that same area. They start out like little red pimples, get raised and scaly and turn black. In fact, I can actually pull his fur out!

I took him to the vet again this past Saturday and he said, "Oh, yeah, now it looks like a staph infection." I still blame the day of his surgery that something went wrong there. He is on Clavamox for the next 10 days and the vet said if that doesn't work, he'll have to change his meds, but this is scaring me. It has not improved at all.

What does this look like? I hope I do the attachments right. I'm worried sick now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ralphie's skin on back 2a.jpg (65.3 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg ralphie's skin on back 3a.jpg (66.8 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Ralphie skin on back 1a.jpg (65.3 KB, 99 views)
irbrenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!