Thread: Breeding
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2005, 07:41 AM   #4
txshopper73
Donating YT 14K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Cutie
Some advice please?

My Yorkie is only 3 months old, so this is not an urgent question, but I've had a few family/friends say they would like a puppy if I ever breed her.

What are the pros and cons to breeding your PET? Whatever you decide, you must ask yourself if you are breeding to improve the breed. Even with 2 perfect parents, you can still have not so perfect pups. If you decide to become a breeder, be ready to spend the money. Whether you get your own male or stud out, you need to check the blood lines. Then, there are the vet bills. Are you prepared to spend possibly thousands of dollars if something goes wrong?

How does it affect their health? As long as your bitch is healthy, up to date on all shots, it really shouldn't effect her health at all.

How does it affect their body? The same as it affects us. Gestation period ranges 63 days but sometimes, they can come in early or later.

When should they have their first puppies? You should wait and not breed her till she's had at least one season/heat. In other words, don't breed her during her first heat/season.

Any other issues I should think about? Do your research. Talk with other breeders in your area. Ask more than one person/always get a second, third opinion.

Thanks for your input!!
I hope that this helps. But definitely educate yourself before you commit to this. If you aren't able to sell your pups, are you prepared to handle more dogs? There are SO many aspects to breeding that need to be taken into consideration.
txshopper73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!