View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
Lopsi
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Caddo is very, very sick...

He's had diarrhea since Thursday when I tried to move him to Pixie's food. I thought it was just the change in food, so I didn't worry too much about it. On Saturday, I bought some diarrhea penicillin for dogs... by Sunday, his poop was half-formed but still very soft. So we were thinking he was getting better....

Yesterday, he took a big turn for the worse. He had a massive seizure - at least it looked that to my husband. He called me at school, and I told him that Caddo's been sick anyway, take him in. We rushed him to the vet, but it was lunch time and it was a little while before they saw him. By then, Caddo was coming back around and the tech had rubbed some Karo on his gums. Then the vet came in and looked at Caddo and told us what all we were looking at - including parasites, parvo, hypoglocemia, liver shunt, and something else. We told him to run all the "quick" tests and see what we found out.

Positive for Coccidiosis. The vet didn't know about the seizure "thing," but Caddo definitely had Coccidiosis. Everything else tested negative. So we got the medicine, gave it to him, and have been treating him for that.

Today, I got up and went to school. Several hours later, my husband got up and noticed Caddo was looking really "weak".... he went to work knowing I'd be home shortly and hoping Caddo was ok. When I got home about an hour later, I seriously thought Caddo was dead.

He was laying in pee and poop and was all contorted and very STIFF (with his eyes open) - as if he were dead. I panicked and pulled him out of his kennel... and realized he was breathing. I held him and comforted him... and I put a few drops of water in his mouth. He closed his eyes and got a little looser, though he was too weak to even pick up his head. I washed him off a little (not a bath, just got most of the poop/pee off of him). My husband brought me some Pedialyte which we force fed him some hoping that would help. Then a friend pulled up and called our vet for us who said to get him in there immediately.

So back at the vets again - this time they rushed us straight into a room and tended to us immediately. His temperature was low - 94.something. He was shaking and just starting to come out of his "trance"... the Vet said it was definitely a full blown massive seizure.

Anyway... the vet also said his lungs were full of fluids because of all the racket he made when he was breathing. I told the vet that I put a few drops of water in his mouth to help wake him back up... and that we gave him some Pedialyte but he actually swallowed that.

The vet at first said being honest that he thought Caddo probably has "some" (my word, I don't remember what he called it) severe pneumonia and wouldn't make it the next couple of days. He wanted to do Xrays of Caddo's chest and also do a blood workup for a liver shunt. I told him to go ahead.

The X-ray proved the vet wrong - Caddo's lungs are clear. There is one itty bitty spot in his lung, but the vet said that is probably the "few drops" that I gave him... and said that we are very lucky, because he thought especially after I told him that I'd given water that his lungs were full.... which wasn't the case. He gave us an antibiotic for the one spot just to make sure that it doesn't turn in to pneumonia, and said that's probably nothing to worry about.

But the seizures are something else. It's possible that he had a false negative test for hypoglocemia yesterday.... but the vet thinks with his symptoms that he's got a liver shunt. We aren't sure yet - they took some blood and are testing it. We should know one way on that tomorrow...

In the mean time, Caddo's had 2 full-blown massive seizures in the last 2 days. It's been a nightmare. We are really hoping that whatever it is, he can pull through.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them... in the mean time, please pray for Baby Caddo.

Thanks
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!