Thread: bad bad cough
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2004, 03:18 PM   #5
rob67
Yorkie Talker

Default IM furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondy_5_0
My Yorkie puppie has had a bad cough since I received him (via airplane on Jan. 6th). He is now just over 4 months old. When I initially took him to the vet, he was given pills to take (Temaril; I'm not sure exactly what they are for, other than generic coughing). I gave Biggie the pills and it simply did not help the cough. I took him back to the vet 2 more times for this; the vet told me he had a "collaped trachea", and that it was common in small Yorkies. He told me he could do a trachea xray, but that it wouldn't provide us info. other than Biggie's trachea was somewhat collapsed!! I looked on the web and found info. that corroborated the vet's diagnosis. This was all close to 1 month ago.

Biggie still has the cough, and it is worse than ever. It is mostly in the night, and does not seem to relate to a high level of activity. He sometimes wakes up at night and coughs for an hour w/out being able to stop for any substantial period of time.

I just looked up a brief "kennel cough" description, and it seemed relatively the same as the "tracheal collapse" descriptions on the web.... Biggie has had one vaccination for kennel cough about 2 weeks ago; he is due for the booster in about 1 week.

Any input, suggestions, or remedies would be dearly appreciated....I can't stand the thought of him simply living with this cough forever!!!
Most breeders KNOW when there is a genetic defect in their line of dogs...I was sold my first yorkie in 1995 and he had a genetic liver disease, i watched him suffer for years and grew to love him so that i had to see a counselor when he died...I would call the breeder and ask for vet records and demand a partial or full refund and basically raise hell with them...I know it wont help the condition but it wil let breeders know that they are selling relationships too...and that we get very attached to our little friends...It enrages me that this happens ...this trachea thing is hereditary and they should offer compensation..let them pay for the little dogs surgery...My alex suffered 5 years before he finally died...i know you hate to see biggie suffer...In the mean time try this...make the room that he sleeps in ultra clean and dust free, also use a humidifier and an air cleaner (available at walmart) keep him clean and free of dander and dont let him get too excited...surgery is probably required...good luck...Rob
rob67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!