View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
Suzy
2 Pups=Double Trouble!
Donating Member

Emma acts like this in the car, every time. No matter what. I don't know what I'd do if I took her on a plane-I assume she'd be the same way. Panting, shaking, very anxious, it happens every time we go in any car. I've tried everything, including changing car routines to herbal supplements, and nothing works.

Due to this issue and her separation anxiety, her behaviorist prescribed doggie-Xanax for long car trips. I don't like giving it to her-I don't like putting any drug into my body or my pet's if I don't have to-but the vet and the behaviorist both assured me it's a very small portion of the dosage that she COULD have if she needs it. It does take the edge off, and though she still pants and freaks out a bit in the car, she is more calm, and will stay put in her seat. It's really helped her. I only give her the meds when I'm going to be with her-I'd rather she be with me if she's taken it.

I think it's worth asking your vet about it. If your vet does prescribe something, I'd give the medicine a time or two at home, on a day when the vet's office is open BEFORE you go on the trip. That way, if she reacts to the medicine, or you have questions, you can talk to or take her to the vet.

Good luck!
Suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!