View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
bren
Slave to Max 'n Abbie
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganS View Post
is driving me insane.

Sorry this is kind of a rant...I'm just totally ready to claw someone's eyes out.

My Spanish teacher (if you want to call her that) is possibly the most useless teacher on the planet. I've taken Spanish with her for 7 years, and I still have look up every single word she says in the dictionary (Spanish-English dictionary) to figure out what she's saying. I've been told (by my friend who was raised speaking spanish) that she pronounces words wrong, and says the wrong words in certain places.

My problem is that I haven't learned anything with her. and it's not just my study habbits, because even the straight A students aren't learning anything. She's mean and nasty to certain students. There's this one boy, Steven, and she [nearly every day] sends him out into the hallway if he just looks at her weird. and we get DAILY lectures on how "we should already know this stuff" if someone asks her a question. (example: I asked her if some word meant read or write, and she starts lecturing the ENTIRE class on how we should already know these things. for like the entire period that's all she did. she never even answered my question!)

My personal feelings (along with several other kids) are that she isn't doing her job, and she shouldn't be there. Problem? She's tenured. She can't be fired. I don't picture myself ever being able to speak fluently in another language, but I'd like a chance, and with her I just don't have that.

maybe we're all just being over dramatic, but if she's going to be there, she should be doing her job. and if she's not doing her job, she shouldn't be there.

Opinions? I know that once a teacher is tenured it's nearly impossible to fire them. But don't you think that we as students have the right to a proper education?
I work for a large public school district and although it is highly difficult to get a tenured teacher fired, it's not impossible. Where I work, a teacher would need 3 unsatisfactory ratings (I can't remember if the teachers are rated once a semester, or once a year). An improvement plan would then be implemented when they receive the first unsatisfactory rating. A TON of paperwork, documentation, and follow-up is involved so often times administrators don't want to deal with it unless they REALLY want to get rid of the teacher. Maybe if enough parents got together and complained, and they stick with it until some changes are made--not necessarily firing the teacher, but perhaps coming up with a plan for her so that the students are actually LEARNING something after taking her class for 7 years. In my experience, the only way make someone aware of a situation is to have a vocal group of parents to make some noise about it.
That really sucks that you've taken so many years of a foreign language and don't feel that you've gotten anything out of it

Last edited by bren; 02-12-2007 at 05:14 PM.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!