Thread: Hydrocephalus?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 11:24 PM   #10
Yorkieluv
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyGirlz View Post
I have a 5 lb Maltese who has hydrocephalus...She was 3 years old in Nov and she was diagnosed at about 1 year.
She was a "normal" playful pup till around 10 months old or so. However prior to that time she had a couple of episodes where she would just cry out like she was in pain. It scared us to death and we'd take her each time to her vet. They ran so many tests on her and found nothing. She started circling but also ran around like normal sometimes. She also bumped into things and rubbed her head A LOT along the couch.
One morning she was sort of convulsing! I was petrified as I'd never seen anyone or any animal have a seizure! In tears I sped to her vet. She lost control of her bowel on the way. I think they gave her some seditive - I cant remember, but we went home together and scheduled an appt at a neurologist. He took one look at her walking around the office and said he thought it was hydrocephalus. We had an MRI done and it was confirmed. My perfect angel had water on the brain! He should us her xray and her entire head is filled with fluid!! I cried and cried!
We live with it. She is on one medicine 2x a day and another every other day. She has to stay in her own ex-pen because she no longer is potty trained and also because the pressure on her brain makes it so she cannot see. She continuously walkes in circles now - I don't think she can or will even walk a straight line anymore.
Her eyes look a bit crossed. Her skull looks a bit wide - the fontanel is not closed which is one of the signs, as is the circling.
Each time she has a seizure, she seems to come out of them a bit worse than she was. And she has cluster seizures which means they don't stop and we have to admit her each time (except the last one-she stopped on her own).
She doesn't like being picked up or even held really. I think maybe she doesn't like being picked up because she can't see so it scares her?
I have had to shave her beautiful hair short as she won't let us groom her anymore.
She is a lot of work but we don't have the heart to put her down as the vet doesn't feel she is in any pain? But I question her quality of life sometimes-either way I feel sad and guilty....
I think I covered everything? Please if you have any other questions, just ask me!
Can I ask who you think may have this? You said not your baby right?
Hope this helps!!
Trina
I'm so sorry for your little one It sounds like this is a very difficult thing for both of you. You definitely covered everything. Thank you soo much for sharing your story also. I'll send you a PM.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!