View Single Post
Old 06-09-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
Bill A
Yorkie Yakker

Default Potty Training Blues

I have the potty training blues, I love my pup, I am home with him all day, we have a BLAST and he is very affectionate...

I got puppy pads for him and at first it seemed to work! But lately it is as if he has no concept of what they are for, he has about a 15x20 room all to himself food and bed far away from the pad in opposite corner, I have him babygated in (which is 36 inches high and he CAN climb over now btw).

But he continues to pee and poop AROUND the pad or worse near his bed and food (logic would say dont go by your food or bed) but he does.

I even have tried crating him for short times (2 hours during day) and controling the food so I have more of an idea when he eats and will be ready to go, but if I leave him in his room he either goes at random in the room, shreds the pad cuz im not with him and hes mad i guess, now he can climb so he climbs out and pees and poops wherever... (all over basically).

I am consistant to say NO when i catch him going and to take him STRAIGHT to the pad, sit down say (nicely at this point) "go potty!" etc, yet all of that means nothing to buddy i guess, the moment i let him out of that room he runs out and within 5 mins has peed and pooped if he can do it fast enough.

I just don't get what I am missing or doing wrong, I monitor the food and water, have even crated and done it overnight too, next morning spent a GOOD 45 mins on floor with him, KNOWING he had to go, knowing he was hungry etc, put food out talked to him let him eat (KNEW it was coming) yet 45 mins later still nothing, i go to take a shower and he has climbed out and peed and pooped in the living room floor UGHHH!

I am gonna setup the video camera cuz nobody believes this 4lb dog is climbing a 3 foot gate straight up vertical, i swear he is a cat, he will get on the kitchen chair, to the table, LEAP to the counter to get to the paper towel rack and or fruit bowl... that to me is cat like behavior but my runty little 4lb pup does it everyday.

I even went out and got a steam cleaner for my carpets but I don't want to loose this battle, I have been trying patiently to praise, monitor, crate, give treats for potty even, just it seems to be going backwards..

Petco sells this drops stuff that supposedly is scented to help them "go" where you put the drops, has anyone used it and does it work?

I am also about to look into the pads you wash and re-use, can they shread them like he does currently with the toss out pads? He also shreds newspaper (tried that) BiG mess, also tried the doggie litter stuff, even BIGGER mess, and he ate a ton of it vs peeing in it LOL...

buddy is at 14 weeks now btw, and overall EXCELLENT dog just gotta get some way to come to terms on this potty stuff.
Bill
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!