View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 07:45 AM   #7
BellaWillow
Senior Yorkie Talker

Unhappy Poor Mimi

My sweet little Willow got her leg broke on December 23rd and she had surgery on December 28th to put a plate and pins in by an orthopedic surgeon at the University of Minnesota. She was dropped by some little boys that came to visit at Christmas and her back right leg sustained clean breaks of both the tibia and fibula. The reason she had to have surgery was because both of the bones were broken and there would be no way for them to fuse back together naturally so a plate and pins had to be put in on the bigger bone of the two . . . and the smaller bone is fusing naturally. She came home with no cast or bandages . . . just an open incision with a lot of stitches and a cone on her head. She could not have any food or water in the small kennel because the wound had to stay clean and dry at all times. She got her stitches out at 11 days . . . and the cone off at 14 days. She is still stuck in the soft crate though which is just big enough for her to stand up turn around and lay back down again. She will have to be in there for 8-10 weeks.

I have had a few conversations with her orthopedic surgeon and he has told me that the bones will not fuse together until around 12 weeks. We were told that her first check would be anytime after 6 weeks . . . which will be Thursday. We are going on Friday and she will be sedated and given pain medication and they will take what they called radialgraphs to see how the bones are doing.

It has been a long 40 days since surgery and we still have a long way to go . . . but I have no regrets about having the surgery. It cost us $2,200.00 but I wanted to do everything I could to make sure that Willow's leg healed properly.

If your vet is telling you to go to a surgeon . . . I would do it. Make sure you research it first though and take your sweet little Mimi to someone who specializes in this type of surgery . . . an orthopedic surgeon.

Please keep us posted on how Mimi is doing, and I will let you know how Willow is doing as well.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!