View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
sweetr72
No Longer a Member

Default That's so Raven!! (my first rescue!!)

Well everyone...got my first rescue today!! Long story so if you feel like listening grab a coffee lol..

I got contacted by a woman who had to surrender her cocker because her 21 year old daughter has to have a kidney transplant and is on dyalsis a few times a week and is very busy..too busy for her cocker...think this should go smoothly....well let me tell you what happened!!

I got to the home of Raven's (a black cocker) family and was overwhelmed by the stench!! Then out of the townhouse basement came a horribly matted cocker..although you wouldnt know it was a cocker...poor thing.

Raven was sooo happy to come out of the basement (which I never saw) that she wet herself ALL OVER...no one cleaned it up ewwww...

She was starving...I mean STARVING..she ran around like a bat out of hell searching for a crumb...luckily the floor was covered in them..ick..

I tried to pet Raven..she wet herself and fell to the floor in fear. The house had a huge aquarium in it with about 4 inches of water in it (the rest of the water had evaporated) and fish trying to swim in the four inches. A bird cage with a budgie in it...she informed me the other three had died but she didnt know why??? OMG..

I had some running around to do in that town and wanted to contact a groomer asap...I went to the groomer and told her my situation 1/2 hour before she closed..she said "BRING HER OVER AND ILL STAY AS LONG AS I HAVE TOO!!" I was grateful as I couldnt bring home this wretched smelling dog!!

I went back to the "home" to pick up Raven and I was informed she now wanted $100 for her...I said "why" and she informed me that she was a $400 dog and is good for BREEDING???!!!! and that she could sell her for $150 to someone who wanted her!! NO WAY was I going to let THAT happen and I forked over $100 although it killed my pocket book today...

Her 4 year old grandson (oh did I mention that her 6 kids and 2 grandchildren lived in this tiny townhouse??) started crying "dont take my dog" and she yelled at him "well if you took care of her we wouldnt be getting rid of her" like a 4 year old is to BLAME!! I could have smacked her...

I asked if she had shots...she said she didnt have time...ummm 2 years wasnt enough time??? I handed her her cash and took Raven as fast as I could to my van so she could have her fresh new "do".

She spent an hour with the wonderful groomer who had to shave her completely down and came out looking like skin and bones..UNREAL!!

We went to the local pet store for a sample bag of food so she could eat something before we got home.

We got home..did our introductions to the kids and Sadie, Darla and Reece (all went well, not even a growl)

I bathed her again as the stench was and is still there..and she peed on the floor a few times before and after her bath (she isnt housebroken) but thats ok I think she is brilliant and will pick up housebreaking quickly (i hope lol)

So the end of the day has come...all dogs are sleeping soundly and relaxing in a safe warm and loving home!!

Here are some pictures of Raven that I will post to my website so that hopefully a future forever family will see her and fall in love with her...she is a precious doll and when her coat comes back I know she will be STUNNING!!

My FIRST rescue was difficult and emotional but in the end RAVEN wins!!! Yay Raven!! I promise to find the the most wonderful home ever!!

Dawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raven 011.jpg (50.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg raven 013.jpg (76.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg raven 018.jpg (73.5 KB, 53 views)
sweetr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!