View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #61
rachelsyorkie
Rachel & Tilula Belle
Donating Member

Default Coccidiosis/Coccidia

I wondered if that might be the cause. Anytime there is blood & mucus in stool...Every pup I ever took out of the pound had that. A lot of breeders or people with working dogs due maintenance for that a 21 day run of albon once a year. stress can cause a over growth of it. And they will die if not treated. It makes you sick after thousands of $$ in vet bills, you find out you can buy a bottle of 5% albon (tastes great) for about $65 & lasts forever. If there is a very stressful time you can put them on it for 5-7 days. Its a antibiotic. But once they have been wormed or on antibiotics for any amount of time you should replenish there intestines w/probiotics or they will get diareah again. So some yogurt for a few days or feedstores carry probiotic in a syringe, dogs love it. You have to clean everything & coccidia will be anywhere your dogs poo'd thank god its freezing, that should kill it outside but carpets & stuff need cleaned. Hope your vet told you that. 5% Albon is worth the $ (yahoo shopping/price ascending for best deal, share with a friend)to prevent this from happening, thats what they are on right? 7 days is not enough, my vet tried that on me I had to go back 3 times which is what they wanted more $$ so I bought my own & put all on it for 21 days & problem solved. I fed yogurt everyday too. Hope your experience helps others. I'm glad they are ok. That was a scare.
rachelsyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!