View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 11:53 PM   #14
MissiesMommy
Senior Yorkie Talker

CO_Yorkie_Momma- I'm not angry with the person who bred my dog or Yorkie breeders in general. Again, my goal is to prevent other people from making the same mistake I did, and to educate owners and potential owners about choosing and supporting breeders who actually breed to better the breed. It's ok if you don't agree with me or my posts, but that doesn't make me wrong because you don't agree. Also, when I refer to "greeders" I am NOT referring to breeders in general. I am referring to people who breed to make money specifically. Though the term could also encompass those that are selfish in their motives for breeding, and do it for their own reasons rather than for the well-being of their dog(s) and the breed in general.

Jazzy, people who breed for the experience are unethical and have no concept of overpopulation. The problem of overpopulation affects this entire country, and innocent animals lose their lives because everyone thinks they have a right to breed their dog--even if it's just once. You'll notice many of my posts are directed to potential buyers as well, and this is because I'm not a raging fanatic just out to shut down puppy mills. I want people to THINK about what they're doing, whether it's buying or breeding. If people would think about the impact of their actions as a whole we wouldn't have such an overpopulation problem. Most of you here don't seem to grasp that the Yorkie breed is not in a bubble. Yorkies are abused, neglected, and surrendered to rescues and shelters just as much as any other breed (almost--you really can't compare with say, Labradors), so buying or breeding a Yorkie makes an impact. I don't see how anyone can say they love their Yorkie or they love the breed but be so oblivious to the Yorkies out there desperately needing loving homes.

You know what would happen if we shut every puppy mill down? The backyard breeders, who breed for selfish purposes, would take over mass producing puppies to fill the demand. And more BYBs would spring up everywhere because hey, they can make a quick buck! And uneducated people would buy them up like there was no tomorrow, because no one told them how to find a breeder who strives to produce healthy, even-tempered pups. So the greedy, selfish BYBs get rich, and the uneducated buyers get poor paying vet bills and going through the emotional stress of having an ill dog. People who love dogs don't support that cycle, because they don't want dogs to suffer needlessly.

Anyone can throw two dogs together and let nature take it's course. A real breeder's motives have to be more pure than that.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!