View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 08:09 PM   #13
Jazzy Girl
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissiesMommy View Post
Amber, people who breed to improve the breed as a whole. Not people that "love" Yorkies or "love" their babies and "wouldn't do anything to hurt them, but my female's in heat, when can I breed her?" That means people who breed to standards (not from what they've read in a book. More like what Lady Hawk said), and do ALL the appropriate health testing before ever breeding. The breed as a whole, each precious Yorkie out there, and every potential/current Yorkie owner DESERVES that. To do less is a disservice, and I'll hold to that because my baby and I pay the price for breeders who didn't care enough.

I'm not here to inflame people or make it difficult for potential breeders to ask questions, but I am here to advocate responsible, ethical breeding. Every Yorkie owner should recognize that even where they buy from affects the Yorkie breed, because the more BYBs and puppy mills they support, the more Yorkies are going to suffer. It's not about "ugly" Yorkies or pet quality vs. show quality, it's about HEALTHY Yorkies with beautiful temperaments and good structure.

And a big THANK YOU to you breeders who are still learning and doing all you can to keep improving. Much kudos.
I agree with many of your points. I can also appreciate the passion and love you show for the quality of the breed.
However, I think your passion and efforts would be far more effective and productive if they were aimed at puppy mills rather at anyone on the YT board that may be thinking of breeding their dog.
Let me preface this with saying, I have never bred any type of animal. All of our pets have been spayed/neutered. But, I just would like to give my two cents.
I think you would agree, that 90%+ of the readers/posters on this forum are die hard animal lovers. They are also very devoted pet owners to their Yorkies--some times to the point of obsession, myself included.
Yes, there are people that will breed their beloved pet with another AKC Yorkie, just for the----DARE I SAY IT?????--the experience!!!!!!!
The people that post on this board seem to be overwhelming very concerned pet owners. They are pet owners that take excellent medical care of their pets. This includes medical care necessary for a pregnant dog and her pups.
I am really not trying to be flip, but in my opinion---if you really want to get on a cause to help save the purity of the Yorkie breed--there are other places where your efforts will be much more productive.
We are very devoted pet owners and love them all, regardless of the purity of their bloodlines. We have chosen to voice our opinions regarding purity of bloodlines-- with donating our time, effort and money to Animal Shelters and to active and effective groups intent on closing down puppy mills.
Puppy mills are the real enemy in contaminating a bloodline of all breeds of dogs--NOT the few people who post here, who may decide to breed their AKC Yorkie with another AKC Yorkie because they may want: another Yorkie or wish to experience the miracle of a dog having puppies.
Sorry, but I can not comprehend how this is even fits in the same category as the animal abuse and devaluing of the breed---as a puppy mill does.
Jazzy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!