View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
Piccolo's mom
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Default IMPORTANT - BENEFUL dog food

Hi all. Please read if you feed your baby Beneful dog food. This is the posting from another group I belong to :

I would never feed my dogs this type of Purina food...however, if you know of someone who does, please inform them of this information. As always, please also check to see if this is indeed an actual issue. Note that this email originated in the US.

Beneful Dog Food is Suspected of Causing Sickness and Deaths
DoggyBling.com

HEALTH ALERT! .....

Discontinue use of Beneful until this is resolved!

Multiple Reports We have received multiple reports of dogs becoming sick or dying after eating Beneful dog food. The first reports were placed in our new forum and was overlooked by DoggyBling.com staff until we received direct emails last week and then another today.
After speaking on the phone with the lady who emailed us today, we feel that there is sufficient cause for alarm. Dog lovers make a lot of effort to take good care of their dogs and will want to know if they are feeding them something that could be harmful. Most of the
alerts by email, forum and phone cited Beneful dog food that was purchased at Wal Mart around Christmas of 2006.

We spoke with Terri Culp at Beneful this morning and were assured that they are aware of the situation and are researching the problem. We assured them that this won't go away and we would be alerting our email base of the problem and posting a news item on our site. We also told her that DoggyBling.com visitors and dog lovers everywhere would be evaluating the way the Purina Corporation (Parent to Beneful) handles the potential crisis.

Symptoms
The symptoms reported have been very similar. The reported symptoms include some or all of the following: General weakness or sluggishness, glazed eyes, not interested in food or water, white gums, lack of control of bodily functions. Some of the callers reported dogs that have died and others say they had gotten sick but had recovered. I am inserting the first forum post about a dog that became sick, but didn't die.

A week be fore Christmas we bought a bag of Beneful dog food at Wal-Mart, DeFuniak Springs, FL. On 12/23 I noticed a tan mold like growth on the dog food. Our 14 year old Dalmatian mix had been getting weaker by the day and by 12/24 she was near death. Glazed eyes, couldn't stand, eat, drink or control her functions. Her gums were white. We had to carry her to the yard and hold her up so she could go. The only thing she would eat was ham and turkey scraps. I spoke with a microbiologist and she said the mold growing in the dog food was toxic. It took a week for Sparky to regain her strength. I did
notify the manufacturer of Beneful, they were very sorry and are sending coupons. Said it was a rare happening.

Beneful's Website

Notify us if your dog has had symptoms after using Beneful

We are going to stay on top of this situation and would like to know if your dog has had any of the symptoms listed above after eating Beneful. If so, please send an email to ric@doggybling.com or give us a call at 904-430-0260. Either way, please pass this email
and information to dog lovers who may be feeding this food to their dog.

DoggyBling.com http://www.doggybling.com

UPDATES:
Updates and Beneful's response and precautionary action will be listed in our news section. We know Purina will take this seriously and will not want to tarnish their company's positive reputation.

News Item about Beneful
http://www.doggybling.com/newsartic le.php?id= 1070

If your dog barks and doesn't fit in a bread roll, don't eat it.
Piccolo's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!