View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
bsabbot
Senior Yorkie Talker

Cry ready for crate training????

Help, I have a nightmarish new puppy who is 3 and 1/2 mo's old.
we got her in mid-december, so i've been at this for over a month. I have another yorkie who is 2.I have been on here before about her being mean to the cat and the other dog, showing her dominance etc-and I know it sounds horrible, but its just one thing after another, she eats her poo, no matter what i do w/the food, she wont poo on a schedule and i am so, so close to putting an ad in the paper, BUT i'm trying to be a responsible dog owner and do the right thing. I think my problem, is that she is just too smart-which would be good in any other situation. the vet advised me to feed her in the morning, and when we get home from work- I have been doing this trying to get her on a poo-schedule so we can begin crate training when she's ready. The problem is, I bought an ex pen that i set up on the linoleum and she can now climb it, i covered it w/a blanket, a towel and even strapped posterboard on it so she couldnt get her little feet thru, but she still manages to climb over. So now, nothing holds her back, not a gate, xpen-only the crate. The problem with putting her in there is i know she can't hold it for the 7 or 8 hours that she will have to be there while I am working. I have tried leaving her out and just shutting bedroom doors ---as a last resort and she ate anything within 3 feet of th floor, she managed to pull books off of the bookshelf and tear thru those and even chewed on my kitchen chairs (wood?) and couch.
i know, it probably wasnt a good idea to get a dog while working-given the previous expereience w/my 2 year old yorkie, i thought it'd be ok-but NO.
so now what should i do? how long can they hold it at this age? when can i begin crate training? i am so upset, i love her dearly but it's become harder and harder each day that she has destroyed something else i care about-and i can't necessarily remove my furniture from the kichen or keep her out of it-she has even chewed the floor-molding when i tried to put her in the bathroom and the cabinets too!--------------------------help
any suggestions???
bsabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!