View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
margot.
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcerella02 View Post
we started intermediate on saturday.. i am just posting this NOW because of how stressed out i have been about it.. layla and i LOVE Our trainer.. which is why were are taking more obedience. layla is in a class with two 5 month old chocolate labs, a 6 month old golden retriever and a 5 month old American Eskimo Dog. Layla LOVES obedience.. she loves the big dogs... although she sometimes get scared, she did really well for having not been in a long time. THe problem is with the American Eskimo Dog. The "parent" is useless.. she is there because her husband thinks she can't handle the dog.. oh and she brought her 4 children under the age of 7 along... well this dog barked and barked and barked.. a very high pitch park... most of the class... Christina (the trainer) told the girl to spray him with water whenever he barked.. she didn't... for whatever reason the barking really bothered layla.. she tried nipping at the dog whenever it passed by and even showed her teeth. i was such a mess when i left there.. this is NOT AT ALL like layla. IN fact today a friend of ours brought their 4 year old yorkie Max over to visit and he barked at layla.. growled a little bit.. she just kept on trying ot play with him.. dind't care... i'm so sick about going back... i love the other dogs in the class and i know this is a behaviour that needs to be corrected. but i feel like she almost has a right to get pissed off....??? this is not usual for her as i just discribed, so do i spray her with water at class when she acts this way??? any help or ideas would be SO appreciate.. th is makes me sick to my stomache... i hate seeing her act like this... it's not my sweet girl that i know.
you know...it's funny - Banks is somewhat fearful of other dogs and during their playtime (we're in a puppy class) he's mostly a loner. When they do come near him he either gets on his hind legs and shows teeth (no growl thouugh) or runs away...at the end of class this week though, he started barking and lunging at the other dogs for NO REASON! I totally know how you feel - it made me feel sick to my stomach! I'm farily worried about him and afraid I'm not socializing him enough...your advice on that would be great!

In any event, it's always tough to be in a class (any class - human and dog) where one person isn't pulling their weight and acts totally inapproprately- it just ruins it for those of us that do the work and try hard. . I'd say stick it out - don't let youself get upset (i know it's easier said than done!) and think of it as a test for both of you! So long as you both keep your cool (she'll pick up on your energy) and stay confident and focused, you'll end up having such a beautifully behaved companion! Kudos to you for making such great efforts to train layla! my only suggestion (and my trainer said this to us) would be to seek out other American Eskimo dogs outside of class so that layla doesn't associate ALL amerian eskimo dogs with unstable, unbalanced energy. My trainer said some breed - specifically terriers - were bred to be able to distinguish different kinds of dogs - so if there is a very negative experience with one type of dog, your dog may become aggressive or fearful around all dogs of whatever paticular breed. Hope this helps and I'd like to know how it goes!

Last edited by margot.; 01-30-2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: left something out
margot. is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!