View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
fidola13
Yorkie Talker

Confused NE1 w/info on canine cognitive disorder?

i had a 17 yo mini schnauzer who had many years ago and wast treated somewaht successfully with anipryl. however her signs were classic: sudden peeing in the house, unaware of surroundings, gettling "lost" in the house, restlesness.

today my 15- 17 ys nm yorkie bentley has beed displaying odd behaviours that may be dog "senility"- about 5 weeks a go he just started crying, whimpering and shaking in bed one night- so i held him until he calmed down. it was frightening for both of us and the other dogs.
since that time, he barely sleeps more than 2-3 hours at a time with waking up and crying, shaking etc... at 1st i thought he needed to go out but not really, then i tried giving him a snack- no good, put him in bed with me (sleeps in crate next to bed because he is old and uses a male diaper) but that didnt work.
he eats and drinks and everything normally. i tried givng him extra cough medicine a t night (hydrocodone) and that did tn work very well eitehr.
im at my wits end! my partner and i are totally sleep deprived and frustrate! im much more patient but even im burnt out with him.
oh- and he jsut had a healthy checkup in december and noraml blood work 2 weeks ago. and hi is nto on any other meds besides occasionally the cough medicine.
put a call into my vet today.
this is long winded but does anyone out there have any stories similiar? thanks sara
fidola13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!