View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 06:25 AM   #5
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Why so much disparity between the price of puppies? $500-$2500???? I know many charge a little more for females but it is usually not more than a couple hundred dollars difference.

I don't necesarily think all kennels are puppymills. If they are taking every precaution for the dogs safety and health, if the place is clean, if they are giving personalized attention so the puppies are well socialized, if you just "feel" comfortable with their set up, then I do not think a kennel is a bad place to get your dog. I steered away from anyone not raising their dogs in their home. But that was a personal decision -- as it always makes me feel so bad for dogs (the "breeding stock") to be kept in a kennel and not a part of anyone's loving family. But I am sure some of the puppies raised this way have a better start, and more careful breeding than many of the inexperienced home breeders. So, you just have to take each one on a case-by-case basis and decide if you feel right about it.

I would only use a mass-production kennel if you could see it for yourself. Multiple breeds is a red flag. I have a Jack Russell and a Dachshund but they are spayed. I would not have another breedable dog around if/when I breed my Yorkies. But if the kennel is caging the dogs anyway, they probably can keep them easily separated. It is a concern but not necessarily a worry.

I probably have not been any help, but in the absence of any blatant reasons not to use a kennel, the final decision probably has to be a "gut decision" based on what you see and feel from the facility and the owner.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!