Thread: Africam!
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
RowdysMom
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Default Africam!

Have any of you ever visited the Africam site? My daughter turned me on to it last week and I am becoming ADDICTED It is a live camera at a watering hole on a game refuge in Africa. You can see all sorts of animals!

Here are a couple of links that will take you there.
mms://live.wildlife.wavelit.net/451ok (copy and paste this one - it bypasses the commercial!)
http://www.wavelit.com/index.asp?ch=Wildlife&sh=africam

You will need Windows Media Player 9.0 (free download) or for the Mac users (me) I was told to get flip4mac (also free) - but I am able to use the Windows Media Player just fine.

You have to remember that they are from 8 hours ahead of U.S. time so for me right now in central U.S. time it is approx 2:30PM here and 10:30PM there - so it is dark over there. The site does have a night cam so you can view a still shot of the watering hole and night before last (I didn't see it - but saw the video) there were lions that came to drink.

This morning I saw zebras, wildabeasts, monkeys, and impalas. Here is a link to some still pictures of those animals - and I DID see all these animals this morning. The zebras were amazing! They were galloping and so playful. My granddaughter and her dad saw giraffs the other day!!!

Some people have a photo capture program on their computers and they can take still pics or videos from the Africam - I can't, but I visit the forum where people who do post them. You can look in everyday and see what you missed! Here's the link.
http://forum.wavelit.com/forums/77/1...howThread.aspx

Sometimes there is a camera operator who moves the camera around and zooms in on the animals - other times all you get is a still shot of the watering hole. Oh! Oh! another cool thing is that there is sound so you can listen to the crickets, frogs, birds and all kinds of cool animal sounds. Sometimes I turn the sound up just to listen. When they have a thunder storm - it is amazing!!!

Seeing animals will be hit or miss but the best time is about 5PM Africa time. For me, in central U.S. time that is about 9:00AM. I try to check in and watch everyday about 9:00Am - but I am at work then, so lots of times I am too busy.

I hope you enjoy!!! For those of you reading this and who want to look, try to check in tonight about 9:00PM (central time) - it is just getting daylight over there and sometimes there are animals that come to the watering hole at daylight.

Enjoy!

Last edited by RowdysMom; 01-28-2007 at 12:46 PM.
RowdysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!