Thread: Dog Show World
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #13
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkykisses View Post
I never stated to approach a stranger at a dog show. I for one do not mind talking with someone at a show, but after I am done showing my dog (s). If one is truly interested in showing they should contact their locate kennel club and find a mentor with the breed they are wanting to show. A mentor is the first most important thing a novice can find! A mentor will have you go along to the shows and help them in the grooming area and ring side. I have been to several shows to help and learn.

I will state this also. One should not just think that a Veteran "Reputable" Show Breeder is just going to hand a dog over to you to do with what you want and not be in contact again. They are first going to co-own the dog and be a part of your showing their dog. If and when the time comes to use the dog for breeding your mentor/breeder will also be right there to help you the whole time!

There are to many scammers in the dog world today! People that will breed anything, sell anything and purchase dogs with champion pedigree just to sell dogs! I honestly would not blame any reputable show breeder for altering everything they do not personally keep!
Joining a local breed club after bringing home my 1st companion yorkie really gave me insight and taught me so much about the yorkie, showing and lastly breeding. It is where I found my breeder/mentor/friend/adopted mother. However, she didn't entrust me with my first show dog for a year and a half.

It is was told to me that when you buy your first show dog from a breeder, that you not only buy the dog you gain a mentor. I found this to be very true. My mentor has been there every step of the way for me, teaching me, yelling at me when I didn't get it right. She was there at my 1st show dogs puppy match and every show she was entered in, the day she Championed and until the she was retired from the ring.

So, I can't stress enough how important a good reputable/responsible/honest mentor is.....and never, never betray their trust.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!