View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbrenda View Post
My vet sells Hill's but only the prescription diet which is what I have to use now, the U/D formula. He also carries a few other prescription foods but he felt that the U/D formula is best for my dog at the moment. He didn't PUSH the diet food on me as he also suggested I can continue using Life's Abundance and Merrick's wet food but I'd also have to supplement with Urecit K tablets 2X a day and there are side effects from that too. I'd rather treat Ralphie with food rather than pills.

In fact I expressed concern about using the Hill's food and the vet said that there is an 80% chance of stones recurring IF I use my own food so the choice was mine.

I'm sure not most people would never give a second thought to using the Prescription Diet or question its ingredients, other than select pet owners on a forum like this. My niece is also using the prescription food for her Silkie for the past 2 years and basically laughed at me when I told her I thought the food was pure garbage. She said, "Where do you get your information from? Stop reading the Internet!" The doctor kind of said the same thing to me. In fact, I myself have a weird skin ailment on my hands and the dermatologist said to stop reading into the Internet or I'll scare myself to death, which basically I have done already.

I just hope my dog lives a happy and healthy long life and I'm doing the best I can for his medical condition. I don't want him to ever undergo surgery again.

One more thing: My friend's daughter is studying veterinary medicine right now and said the one of the best foods is SD! And she has 3 healthy dogs with very long lives to prove it.

you bring up a very good point about the internet. A lot of people read the internet and all this information from other 'regular' people about their opinions on many different things. There are alot of sites of there that promote or discourage people from using products. its hard to know what is good and what is bad. My vet would tell the clients to stop reading that crap on the internet too unless it's based on professional opinion. Its a very hard topic to research because people are just going to say that the vet who writes an article that supports Hill is getting some kind of kick back from them.

I think dog nutrition is an up and coming specialty now that more and more people are starting to pay attention to what they feed their dogs. Alot of what we think is right may very well be proven wrong. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years.

Vet school is in my future. i was thinking of going into behavior but now maybe i'll look into nutrition.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!