View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 09:28 AM   #13
TatumsMom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle View Post
I agree totally. Dogs pick up on your moods. I used to work in a dental office where we saw lots of children. The parent's would come in and the first thing out of their mouth was how terrifed their kid was to be there. Usually the kid did just fine with mom out in the waiting room. I can't tell you enough what a pain in the *## some of these parent's were. Don't project fear onto your dog/kid!

Periwinkle

I have to comment on the dentist thing because it made me laugh. My daughters (now 10 & 12 yrs) have gone to a pediatric dentist since they were 2 yrs old. I was a little shocked the first time we went when I saw that the dentist did not allow the parents to come back with the kid. The asst. comes to the waiting room, collects the kid and then when they are finished, the kid goes into the "playroom" that has everything from little kid toys to video games. They get to play in there and pick out their prize while the parent then gets called in to consult with the dentist. I think my kids are less traumatized regarding dentist visits because of all the good experiences they've had (and that doesn't mean they've always had "good" checkups - they've had to have major work done too). I recommend this dentist (actually it's a pair of them) to everyone I know with small kids.

I guess my point is, if "we" are going to treat our Yorkies like skin-kids, we have to keep in mind that they react in similar ways like kids do. I think the original poster has some really good advise!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!