View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
Dawn125
YT Addict

Default A thought about dropping your dog at the groomers or vet

So many people post about how terrified their little one is when being dropped off at the vet or groomers. As a groomer, I just wanted to make a point. Many people come in with their little dog shaking in their arms or on a leash. The owners are sure their little one is terrified. Your dog instantly feels your anxiety. If you are nervous about leaving your dog, your dog will be nervous as well. Most dogs stop shaking immediately when their nervous parent leaves. Its really funny sometimes. This happens every day. I will be taking in a dog on a leash who puts on the brakes and won't come back with me. The dog looks pleadingly at mom as if to say "please don't leave me!". Mom finally does out the door. Pup watches mom go and the instant mom is gone the pup's attitude completely changes and she happily trots back with her tail wagging. I know it's hard to believe but I see it over and over every day. I even have dogs that are groomed every week that do this. One in particular (a shihtzu) comes in and looks nervous while dad is there. His dad insists he (the dog) hates comming in and always apologizes to the dog. The minute he leaves the dog is back to his usually happy self. I should film it for the owners to see. It's like a switch. Owner leaves...dog stops shaking!

When my daughter was about 3-4 I had to leave her in daycare each morning when I went to work. She would cry and cling to me. The daycare providers would have to coax her off me. They would talk me into leaving even though I was sure she was going to cry for me all day. Finally one day I left and immediately turned around and peaked in a window to see my sobbing child immediately turn around and start playing with something with a huge smile plastered on her face. Same thing.

Anyway, my point is, if you will need to take your dog to a groomer then find one you are comfortable with and do it. Ask other dog owners who they use. Drop in and look at the facilities. Talk to the groomers. Whatever you need to do to be comfortable. The sooner the better. Waiting until your dog is 9 or 10 months old and matted to the skin is not a good way to introduce your dog to grooming.

One other thing. The criticism about groomers who won't let you stay and watch. You know how excited your dog is to see you. Jumping up and down and spinning around. Do you really want your groomer with her very sharp sissors working on your dog while it is in an excited state like this?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!