View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
Superpup
Senior Yorkie Talker

Wink No Cluck-Cluck For My Boys Either

I have stopped feeding dog food to my boys for the last 2 months. I make home-prepared foods and they are mostly certified organic. My Wesley has been severely itching since I got him almost 2 years ago.

I have tried 6 different commerical dog foods, and he has always itched, one time to infection. We tested for enviromental allergies, and he was fine.

My vet also suggested the Science Diet canned, and I said absolutely not. I had noticed when feeding dog food, the chicken bases made him itch more. SciDi was chicken based. I told the vet that I am not playing around anymore and I have to find relief for my baby. I went to our local Whole Foods Market and stocked up on organic meats, beans, lentils, chickpea flour, walnuts, pumpkin, veges, pineapple, banannas.

I lightly cook, just sear the outside of buffalo steaks, beef, venison, lamb, pork, and organ meats. I used to cook the veges, but now buy Honest Kitchens "Preference" dehydrated veges.

I put organic ground flaxseed, kelp, sea salt, ground eggshell, olive, sunflower, or safflower oil mixed in thier food, the vege part with water, and 1/2 ml of alfalfa extract. I sometimes put in a tablespoon of cammomile tea.

I give Thorne Research Canine Basic Nutients every other day. It's a great vitamin, mineral, and amino acid supplement.

They have not had any grains, dairy, (eggs okay), garlic, soy, yeast, potatoes, lecithin, tomatoes. Just last week, I gave some Italian bread, and the next day, the intense itching began. I had to give benadryl and Bach's Rescue Remedy and extra alfalfa extract (detoxifier) for 3 days. He got better. Then I tried chicken, which they have not had for about a year (all the dog food was meat-based). Boom, the itching started again.

Dogs do not have the enzyme to digest lactose in dairy products.

I loved Innova Evo Red Meat food, but it has potatoe in it, and I think that was another culprit.

I've done my "food testing" and "elimination diet", and I count on my motherly instincts and careful observations.

My guys love white fish, (not salmon), sardines, and mackerel, too.

I do not give omega-3 from fish, it also makes them itch. I use the ground flaxseed instead.

I give only real meat/cod treats from Whole Life, Zuke's Basted Beef, Merrick's
Texas Toothpicks, and Red Barn Bully Sticks.

I make their own "cookies" from chickpea flour, pumkin, walnuts, eggs, walnut oil, pumpkin seed, a little seasalt, and sometimes some veges. I slow bake it, cut it into pieces, and bake it again. They wolf it down. Love it.

In the beginning, it did take a lot of research and time to prepare their food, but now it's a snap. They love raw meat, or just seared. Eat all veges I give, and adore the taste of beans and lentils. I only make a 1/2 cup of these at a time in order to give variety everyday.

No more itching, doggy smell. High energy and playfulness. Lotsa kisses, and they look so forward to meals. It's worth everything to see that.

Instead of agonizing over which "DOG FOOD" to use, JUST USE FOOD.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!