View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 06:23 AM   #4
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie'smom
I dont have them in an xpen yet.....I just have the whelping box in my bedroom. She is used to having her run of the house and is usually at my side or my son's. I think she is mostly afraid that she will miss something! lol She does not like being confined at all and when she is in a pen she just jumps up and down the whole time wanting out. I'm not sure what I will do when they really start getting around good? I know I need to use the x-pen but I'm sure she will wear me out wanting in and out. LOL I also tried moving the whelping box into the room where I am and she didn't like that, tried pulling it back to the bedroom so that is where it has stayed. She is just so smart!
This maybe your problem. Mom's should be confined with their puppies in a very quiet area or they won't get down to business. I confine mine to an x-pen in their last trimester. Then move them to a 3x3 Puppy pen a week before their 1st due date and she stays there until puppies are ready to be weaned. Then I slowly start keeping the babies away from her for longer and longer periods of time. Then only put her in at night, so that puppies can drain her (mother's breast can rupture if you don't monitor closely). I know that whelping and rearing is very tiring and so many things to watch for.

Last edited by Mardelin; 01-22-2007 at 06:26 AM.
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!