Thread: Tonsillitis
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
alex99emmie
Senior Yorkie Talker

Animal Smiley 049 Tonsillitis

Hey, guys, I haven't been on here for awhile but just wondered if anyone else has a Yorkie who has had tonsillitis. Emmie just turned 4 years this month. She had one bout of tonsillitis about 2 years ago which she seemed to recover from promptly with antibiotics. About 1-1/2 months ago I noticed the glands in her neck were swollen so I took her to the vet. He said her tonsils were swollen and were causing the lymph glands to swell. He gave her antibiotics which she took for a week or so, the glands went down a little, but came right back up. I took her back and the vet said the tonsils were very inflamed (he could see the tips of them, which he said he shouldn't be able to see if they were normal). So, he put her on SulfaTrim which I gave her religiously, and the glands still did not go down. I took her back this past week - he said though the tonsils were still swollen, they were not as inflamed or "angry" red as they had been - he did not want to cause damage to her immune system by giving her more antibiotics, so he made up a vitamin "potion" to give her to help boost her immune system and hopefully get her over this. But, the glands are still swollen. I was just wondering if anyone else had faced this problem, and if so, what treatment it took to get their furbaby over this!!!! I asked him about a tonsillectomy but he said he wanted to wait and see how she does - he thinks it could all be related to allergies. She has seemed to feel just fine through all of this - eats and drinks and plays and poops!!!! I am just worried that if it continues to hang on, she will start wearing down. She is 5.6 pounds.
Thanks
Barbara
alex99emmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!