View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
debbiect
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default schedule

Here's my problem. Sparky is 9 weeks old (will be 10 weeks Sunday). When I first got him he was one day shy of being 6 weeks old. The first week or so I kept him in a small crate during the night. He'd wake up whimpering in the middle of the night, sometimes 3 or 4 times and I would get up, take him to the paper and he'd pee or poop...sometimes both. He'd want to play a little, but I'd take him back to the crate and go back to bed. My husband suggested I put him in the kitchen (where the paper is) and put his crate in there and a gate across the door and that way he could use the paper whenever he needed to. I've been doing that about 2 weeks not, but he still wakes me up sometime two to three times during the night whimpering. I'll go in there, place one leg over the gate and stand there. Then he'll cuddle up to my foot and after a few minutes (5 tops) he'll settle back down and go to sleep. I then slip back out to bed til the next time. Am I doing something wrong? Is he just checking to make sure he's not alone? I can't let him whimper long because we live in an apartment and he can get loud. Should I be keeping him in the crate to get him use to holding it like someone said or is this just a phase he's going through?
Also, as far as his feeding, he eats about 6:00 am, 11:00 am, 4:00 pm and 9:00 pm. Should he still be eating that often or should I cut out one of the feedings? He's eating about 2 teaspoons of Science Diet (softened in water) with about 1/4 teaspoon chicken baby food added, heated in the microwave. (I tried to sneak a pill to him through his food at 7 weeks (he picked up tapeworms from dog poo outside)(hence potty training him inside), and he refused to eat the food. The vet told me to get the chicken baby food, and then reintroduce the dog food with the taste of the baby food in it. I was going to stop the baby food, but my husband says, "well he doesn't eat that much and he IS a baby," "he really likes it,". (This from the man that didn't really want me to get another dog). Should I still be softening his food or can he eat it hard?
debbiect is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!