View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
topknot
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Yes, showing is very expensive! First you have the cost of your dog - if you do not yet have your own. Then you have the entries - 22.00 - 25.00 usually per show. Normal 3 shows per weekend. Then if the show is away - you need gas, hotel and food expenses. Then you have your equipment to buy. I always buy a catalog at each show - usual cost 10.00 for the weekend. The coatalog shows names and order of the dogs, as well as information about each dog (parents), breeder, and owner's address. Then I go to handling classes with my dogs (I always learn something new) - cost 40.00 per 6 weeks class if member of the dog club in your area. Add in grooming supplies. I only show my puppies, when they get older for the open classes I now have a handler - so you have their cost (about same as if you went to the show (food, travel, hotel). Then the time it cost to wrap coat and care, training, etc... Yes, it can add up. It is like a fulltime job. I show though to prove the quality of my dogs and for time with my hubby and my older children (fun). When we went to Priceville, AL show my daughter (24 years old) went with my husband and I. We really had fun, worked hard, and had a chance to get closer. Quality time - priceless!!
P.S. I do have to watch my older son - I think he goes to the shows to check out girls. He calls it a chick magnet. We make him work too though.
T.
topknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!