View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
YorkieRose
No Longer a Member

Default showing

Dog showing is suppose to be a sport...ideally it should be undertaken for the love of the breed...and enjoy yourself while doing it...that can be hard sometimes. The desire to present an excellent example of what I bred, compete and bring the dog to title was my goal.

Raising a potential is not that expensive...you must invest in good grooming products, handling classes are good..some are cheap others are high dollar trainers..depends on waht is available in your area.. some breeders get together and socialize their pups etc.

If you show the dog yourself, you have entry fees and travel expenses. You can sink a bundle into supplies, but alot of the stuff is not needed...of course you need a nice traveling crate, grooming table, etc..you can go to the expense of an RV or keep it simple.

I, perferred a handler, as I did not have the time to travel up and down the east coast at will...a good handler with a good dog is worth it to me...one was finished in 10 shows..went fast..

I have shown my own and it is fun to a certain point..I love showing puppies..but once they are older and ready to win the points, it becomes serious and it is little fun for me...I, perfer fun matches..then let a handler do it..others get no satsifaction from using a handler...it all depends on what is fun for you.
I would not buy a potential, then hire a handler..what is the point? In that case it makes sense to show it yourself..if not, what do you get out of it?
But having someone show what I bred worked for me...by producing that good dog I felt like I had already proven myself..finishing it was icing on the cake.
YorkieRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!