View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
SONYSW
Senior Yorkie Talker

My puppy chelsea is about the same age. She makes mistakes occasionally and mostly is our fault. She is potty train outdoor. During the first few weeks when we got her, we use the crate a lot and did not let her run around the house (or even in the bed). I feed her 3 times a day at almost the exact time 7AM, 12AM and 6AM and have free access of water during this period only. After meal, nap or crate, I took her outside to potty or pee. I ignore her during this period until she potty or pee outside. Praise-2 and treat-2 if she does her job. Immediately took her inside and play with her alot (associate potty outside, play inside). If she did not potty or pee, I put her back in the crate for 5 minutes and try again. Until eventually she pees or potty; and play inside. Eventually she understand......Potty or pee outside, I can play with you inside...hmmm. Associate potty/pee outside with treat, play inside the house and other pleasant things and do not let her play outside after she does her job. If she makes mistakes in front of me I say NO and immediately take her (and her poop outside) to show her where is the correct location. This sounds yuck but it works (I read it somewhere here). If I were you, I probably will not do pee pad training indoor since this may confuse her/him. Also I always associate crate with pleasant things. In the beginning I put all new toys and treat inside her crate, so she will not soil the crate. I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me for any questions.
SONYSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!