Thread: i know i know
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
Sweetums
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Fish oil! I have very dry skin and in winter it's worse. A couple of years ago it started flaking around my nose and even my eyebrows were flaking. Apparently it was the start of eczema. Anyway, at the time, I started on fish oil for other health reasons, and the flaking immediately went away.

If you read Dr. Perricone's skin cure (he has a website that is very informative), he talks about how important the right oils are for proper functioning of our organs and for smooth radiant skin, meaning healthy. Other diet authors talk about beef as well, that in western culture because of the way we raise beef (fattening them up in farm warehouses and feeding them weird feed instead of letting them be naturally grass fed grazing in pastures) is particularly high in arachadonic acid which is what causes PH imbalances in our skin. In order to properly rebalance PH, it's important to counteract all that arachadonic acid with EFAs and GFAs(?) available in fish oil. Those oils are essential fatty acids and are needed for overall health, but the effects show up in skin first. They counteract arachadonic acid from beef. In Iceland, for instance, they feed their dogs fish rather than beef. In fact, there is a chew for dogs from Iceland made from fish skin which is completely digestible. It's made by Elinora and you can find and order the chews online. Dogs love it and it does provide some essential fatty acids.

In order to raise the essential fatty acid levels in your puppy faster, you might try opening a fish-oil capsule and mixing it into your pup's food at a couple of feedings a day or buy liquid codfish oil and mix a spoon into the food. Start with a small amount first and build up, as it tends to burp up if you start off too high. Also, I would look for food that does not contain beef. Try food with lamb and chicken instead of beef since most lamb is not raised in farm factories and chicken is low in arachadonic acid.

Last edited by Sweetums; 01-16-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Sweetums is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!