View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 02:33 AM   #2
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

Poor thing. You sound exasperated. Don't panic. Whether you do decide to keep him or not, I guarantee you can have him potty trained before August with a little patience and a lot of praise. If my math is right, your pup is still only about 20 weeks. That's still young. August is 7 1/2 months away. YTers should have a lot of good advice for you. Here's my .02:

* Potty training is all about praise and reward when they get it right. You have to keep an eye on them for likely times, then take them to the area you want them to go. When they do it right, praise, praise, praise and provide their favorite treat.
* Try to be there when it's time to go. If you can't supervise, limit him to a place where he's not going to cause as much damage.
* When he gets it wrong, don't scold. If you catch him in the act, a firm "No" and a gentle trip to the place you want them to go is sufficient. If he finishes up, perfect: Praise, praise, praise and reward.
* I'm no crate training expert, but it sounds like you're putting a pee paid in the crate. My understanding is you don't want them to pee in their crate. I'll defer to someone else here, but maybe the crate is too big?
* If you catch him pooping in the house, I've had success placing it in a napkin and carrying it to the place you want them to go. For me, it was outside. Then I'd show it to the dog.

Good luck.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!