View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
Dougal&Little
Donating YT 500 Club Member

As with any new exercise for you and Brownie you should start slowly. When I start a running regime (which I haven't for a loong time). I start out by jogging 20 steps then walking 20 steps. Keep your exercise period to about 20 minutes to start with. I think time is a better way to do it than distance - because you'll get faster as you get fitter.

Do a little warm up before you head out - run backwards and forwards a little to help brownie warm up before hitting the road. Don't forget to cool down (ie walk the last little bit before you come home). Nothing's worse than really sore muscles the next day.

Once you get Brownie's running fitness up as long as you spend about 30 minutes a day with a raised heart rate (either via a vigourous walk or jog) that should be enough for the weight to come off - at least half an hour is what they say for humans!

If Brownie is carrying a bit of extra weight be careful cos that can create a lot of strain on his joints. (Having been overweight myself I can empathise about just how hard it is to run when you're carrying a lot of weight!)

My two have both lost weight with regular walks. I can let them off lead for about an hour at the local park and they run around together. I do that 4-6 times a week. (not to mention it's helped me shift 16kg! (33lbs!))

Because Brownie's a bigger yorkie you also might like to get him into agility once he's lost a few lbs. Dougal (13.5 lbs yorkie - and that's not fat) is really good at it. It's helped me stay motivated about exercise too!

Dougal's Facebook Dixie's Facebook
Dougal&Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!