View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #11
hunniebunnie
Follower of Yorkietology

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie
My puppy is 15 weeks old. What do you feed yours? When I first brought her home she was 11 weeks old and she was already on Iams puppy food but she didn't like it very well, the kibble was very big. Then my vet recommended science diet and she LOVED it and the kibble was very small but I read the label. So I researched differnt foods and I bought Wellness. Should I have bought a food for small dogs? Are yorkies just too little for this much protein?
When bunjee was a puppy, i started him on royal canin for puppies because that's what the breeder used. then i switched him to innova evo then innova puppy food. the evo kibbles are very small and it's a very good food. it's just very high in protein (about 42%). innova puppy kibbles are a little bigger but still small. i think it's 28% protein.

like i said earlier, puppy food will be higher in protein than adult food because puppies need more calories and more protein to grow. you don't have to worry about protein % while your puppy is still growing. but keeping your adult dog at a high protein diet may result in obesity if the dog has only low to average activity throughout the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlDebra
What food has only 21%? I checked and Chicken Soup for Puppies did have 28%; Innova for Puppies 26%, Science Diet for Puppies 25.5%, Life's Abundance 26%, and Diamond for Puppies has 31%! I haven't fed the Diamond yet but mine have eaten the others. (Science Diet only because that was what the vet gave us and one of mine came from the breeders on it).
some high quality foods are designed for "ALL LIFE STAGES". the manufacturer recommend you feed a puppy more of the food for the puppy to get the protein it needs to grow, but the overall protein level of the food is not as high as "puppy food" and the protein level will range in the high teens, low twenties percentage. Natural Balance is an example. Flint River Ranch is another. Here's a short list of quality pet foods that comes only in one "all life stages" variety:

- Natural Balance
- Flint River Ranch
- Canidae Pet Foods
- California Natural
- Karma Organic
- Solid Gold
- Newman's Own Organic

Yeah, so I went a little crazy on food and did a bunch of research and tried a bunch of different foods on my two boys. Right now, I'm feeding them Natural Balance Potato and Duck formula. They love it and it's very good for them.
hunniebunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!