View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
Oscar's Mummy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

If he's only 13 weeks then I'm guessing he hasn't had all of his shots yet? Until he's finished all of his vaccines, I wouldn't be taking him out very much at all - he will be very susceptible to germs/disease.

Try getting him used to the leash while in your apartment at first. It sounds like he's not afraid of the leash, so that's a good thing already (Oscar was deathly afraid of the leash when i first started with him, he would not MOVE and shook like crazy!). When the leash is on him, if he tries to bite at it, tell him NO firmly and remove it from his mouth. Just keep doing that - reward him with a treat for keeping it out of his mouth, or for letting it go on his own when you say NO. It's all about praise praise praise - he'll learn. Once you get outside, if he's still biting and trying to tug or play, just stop walking - tell him NO and remove the leash. Start walking again and if he starts to bite/pull again, then stop. He should start to learn that biting/pulling means he's not going to get to go anywhere.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!