View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Gingergirlsmom
and Bernie's mom too!"
Donating Member

Default Interesting poll by the way, I'm curious to see the results.

Health is probably due more to genetics than size. Responsibly bred yorkies who turn out tiny or large are most likely more healthy than those from puppy mills, etc. Even that can't always hold true.

Ginger is definitely over six lbs, lol, and did not come from the most reputable breeder (my mistake). She is generally healthy, but does suffer from a large number of allergies (both food and airborne) and has incredibly slow growing hair. It's not because she's large, although she's probably large because of irresponsible breeding practices.

Bernie is also bigger than 6 lbs. I've only had him one day, but he has a clean bill of health other than the problems he has that came from being hit by a car. He, like Ginger is not an example of show quality breeding (since he's a rescue I don't actually know his origins) but seems to be healthy otherwise.

We've got friends who's yorkies are 5 and 6 lbs and both seem to be incredibly healthy...BUT they came from a really top notch breeder.

My shihtzu was 6 lbs, incredibly small for a shih. She lived a healthy 15 years before her little heart couldn't take it anymore.

Ginger Bernie Fun Kitty

Last edited by Gingergirlsmom; 01-09-2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: to comment on thread
Gingergirlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!