View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
River
Senior Yorkie Talker

All 3 of my older (now deceased) female dogs had problems with incontinence. My poodle wore diapers just like you are doing, but my german shep/wolfhound mix would soak the diapers. I used a water proof baby crib liner under her when she slept. My Golden ret (just put her to sleep on new years eve, she was 14 1/2) had problems too. With her I discovered that if I used a lower protein dog food she was able to hold it better. I discovered it by accident. I ran out of her reduced calorie dog food and gave her regular food that my german shep eats. She peed all over my carpet as she slept that night. I didn't make the correlation until about a month later when I did the same thing and had the same problem. I checked the protein content of the reduced calorie dog food and the german shep food (both were Eukanuba) and the protein was alot higher in the regular food than the reduced calorie food. I did alot of homework looking for lower protein food and ended up changing her to Hills Science Diet 7+ senior. I only took her off the reduced calorie because she started dropping weight and I was looking for a higher fat content. It worked great for her. She still had the occasional problem wetting through the night, but she was so much better! I think the vet can prescribe a drug that helps also. I never did that for Montana because I didn't want to give her any drugs unless I had to. Hope this helps.
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!